Vacant home means all occupants have moved out and are not returning or occupants have not yet moved in. A home could still have furnishings and be considered vacant.
Vacant Homes Include:
- From an insurance standpoint, it’s important to remember that even a brand-new home can be considered vacant.
- If you buy a home but don’t move in right away, or if your rental property is untenanted, the property is considered vacant.
- When all occupants have left the home with no intention to return, the home is considered vacant—regardless of whether or not furniture or personal belongings have been left behind.
Common reasons homes become vacant
- Home is for sale or awaiting new owners
- Home is in the probate process
- Home is undergoing revised financial arrangements
- Relocation due to work obligations or military deployment
Valley Home Check works with homeowners, financial institutions, law firms, real estate agents, and insurance providers to create customized home check reports. Reports are sent out after each home check.
We conduct regular checks of the interior and exterior of your home based on a frequency determined by your insurance provider.
Regular checks include
- Ensuring windows and doors are secure.
- Ensuring appliances are working (refrigerators/freezers).
- Shutting off water to house and turning back on prior to arrival if requested.
- Checking refrigerator contents for perishable items.
- Ensuring heating and plumbing are functioning including regular flushing.
- Septic and well systems if applicable
- Shutting off electrical or gas to hot water tank and turning back on prior to arrival.
- Replacing smoke and carbon monoxide detector batteries.
- Adjusting temperature after departure or prior to arrival.
- Collecting and forwarding mail and clearing newspapers as necessary.
- Checking for weather damage or gutter blockages on home exterior.
- Checking yard is in need of maintenance.
- Checking vehicles left on site. VHC encourages vehicle owners to use trickle chargers or disconnect battery terminal.
- Watering indoor and outdoor plants.
- Providing detailed reports via email after each check.
- Setting up lights and timers if requested
- Providing regular reports via email.
- Minor maintenance
We ensure your vacant home is secure. This will guarantee you with a peace of mind while ensuring your home is safe, secure, and meets your insurance requirements.